Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Râpée Morv Andelle

Sounds exotic, no? It's not especially, it's just shredded potatoes, ham, eggs, onions & cheese. It is damn tasty, though.

I'm such a follower I watched Julie & Julia a few weeks ago and like nearly every other person who saw that movie I fell in love with Meryl Streep's version of Julia Childs. I can't say I liked the Julie character at all, and it turns out I had good reason not to...she just published a book, Cleaving, about the affair she had after the Julie & Julia blogsperiment. There's something in there too about learning to butcher meat. She butchered the sanctity of her marriage, and then went on to profit from it. How gross can you be?

Oh wow, turns out she's on blogspot too. Maybe I'll follow her and make her a frenemy.

Anyways, regardless of how I feel about Julie Powell, I liked her idea a lot. So much that I ordered a copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Vol 1.

So far I've made two recipes...this weekend I followed her basic recipe for preparing a pork tenderloin with potatoes and onions, which turned out quite nicely. Tonight, after getting home a
little early because of the snow, I tried the Râpée Morv Andelle. Y-U-M!


In case you're wondering, that's my pi plate. :)

This is basically a big fluffy omelette, a little heavy on the onions, with the hash browns built in. It was easy to put together with the aid of a food processor, and bakes for just 30 minutes. Good for any meal if you ask me...it's essentially all breakfast ingredients.

I'm not going to bother typing out the recipe unless somebody actually cares to try it, so if you do speak up!

3 comments:

  1. Testing anonymous comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the movie awhile ago. Hate Julie Powell as a person but reading Cleaving made me want to learn how to butcher. I finally bought Mastering the Art of French Cooking and made Poulet Fricasse this weekend. I think my fiance fell in love with me all over again, due to the amount of butter and cream in this deliciously delectable dish! I can so understand why Julie felt compelled to cook the entire book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belated response...

    Same here Jen, it's easy to see the draw of using these recipes. They are tasty for a reason! Ah, to be a thin Parisian woman, fashionably dressed, subsisting on wine, bread, cheese, cream & butter. They've got it all figured out.

    ReplyDelete