Thursday, January 28, 2010

Portland review

Good morning. It's way too early to be awake in the Pacific timezone. I've been up since 5:30, because apparently 2.5 pints of Deschutes fine brews had too much alcohol to let me sleep in. Where did my tolerance go? I think I left it back in my twenties.

So the weather was beautiful yesterday, allowing me to go with Plan A and enjoy the Oregon Zoo, Hoyt Arboretum, and Japanese Garden. Each place was more impressive than the last.

The zoo was very good as zoos go, and relatively cheap! Only $9 for the day. I saw nearly every exhibit within 2.5 hours.

There were two Polar Bears, and they were MASSIVE beasts. One of them happened to be laying down really close to the glass and I actually jumped when I turned the corner and saw him. The guy above is clearly enjoying the morning sunshine.

I want to know who his stylist is.


The lions were actually watching me. When I saw the male taking an interest I intentionally started pacing back and forth in front of the glass. This got all of their attention. Eventually he decided I was just another schmuck with a camera and settled down again, and the female on the right who looks annoyed went back to licking her tree.


Another sun worshiper.


The sea lions looked almost as big as the polar bears, and just as cuddly. They were putting on a nice show for everybody, doing flips in front of the glass and coming right up to the kiddies to say hello. This picture barely does justice to how majestic they are.

My complete zoo set can be found here.

I left the Zoo and bought a map of the Arboretum, because it was honestly too big to just wander around. Here's what I saw along the way...


It is about here that light dawns on marble head and I finally figure out how to manually focus my camera. Get ready for a lot of unnecessary closeups.




I have reached my final destination - the Japanese Garden. Serenity now!







That is Mt. Hood. It is too pretty for words.

You can find my complete set of Arboretum & Japanese Garden pics here.

Thanks for looking. I'm going back to bed for a few hours before I start my long journey down to San Francisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment